lemon sugar coconut cream pie.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 (14 ounce) cans full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- zest of 1 lemon
- toasted coconut, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8 or 9 inch tart pan with a removable bottom or use a standard pie plate.
2. To make the crust. In a food processor, pulse the coconut into semi-fine crumbs. Add the flour, Domino® Golden Sugar, and butter. Pulse until the mix clumps together to form pea-size balls. Add 3 tablespoons cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together and forms a ball. If the dough feels dry, add 1-2 tablespoons additional water. Press the dough into the prepared pie plate. Transfer to the oven and bake 12-14 minutes, until golden.
3. Meanwhile, make the filling. In a large pot, whisk together the egg yolks and cornstarch until fully combined. Add 1/2 cup Domino® Golden Sugar, the coconut milk, and salt. Set the pot over medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens and is creamy and pudding-like, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the vanilla, butter, and shredded coconut. Pour into the baked crust. Cover and chill 3 hours or up to 4 days.
4. Before serving, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Combine the lemon zest and 1 tablespoon Domino® Golden Sugar. Dollop the cream over the pie and sprinkle with lemon sugar and toasted coconut. Slice and serve.